Sunday, April 6, 2008

Lessons with Mike Compton

Back in the Fall of 2007 I started taking online lessons from Mike Compton. Anyone who is on my practice blog probably knows Mike already - but just in case. Mike is one of the best Monroe style mandolin players in the world. He's also great at teaching this style of playing. So don't let my mediocrity fool you - Mike is the real deal and can really teach.

This first video is one of the first things I picked up from Mike. It's the solo to Blue Yodel #4. Bill Monroe plays this tune lightening fast. I offer it here at (much) more modest speeds. I included two version here, one slow and one medium. I don't attempt Mr. Monroe's speed.

The solo is played entirely with down strokes played near the bridge, except for the triplet phrases which are picked dud. So you get a bunch of those characteristic dud d phrases that Monroe loved so much.




This next one is Sugar Coated Love.

It's got some interesting timing in it and is also picked with down strokes except for the triplets and the tremolo.

When I first learned it, Mike told me I played it "real purdy," and that I had better stop doing that if I wanted it to sound right! He reminded me it was about love gone wrong and that Bill played it angrily with a very strong attack back at the bridge.

I've had about 6 weeks off from my lessons with Mike while he was traveling in Australia with Steve Gilchrist and Dasspunk. I suspect that would have been one helluva trip.

My lessons start back next week, so I'm working on that material again to knock the rust off before Tuesday.

No comments: