Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Folk School of St. Louis


The Folk School of St. Louis is where I first started taking lessons several years ago. Since then, I've taken a number of mandolin classes, an upright bass class, and some old-time and bluegrass ensemble classes. The Folk School is a wonderful group of people that are very supportive.

About a year or so ago, I was asked to join the board of the school. It has been very rewarding working with the board.

In January, the Folk School moved into great new facilities. Many volunteers helped paint and finish the space. Yours truly caught here dripping paint onto the floor.

In addition to the great classes the school offers, we also offer workshops and performances.

Last year, we hosted Mike Compton and David Long for a great workshop (and house concert at my house). That was a real treat.

This coming weekend, another of my favorite mandolin pickers, Skip Gorman, is going to be in town for a concert and workshops. You can find details on Skip's site or at the Folk School.
Don

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don,

Enjoyable blog. Nice to see someone else "struggle" along the path with good cheer.

I'm working on Bach's Cello Suite---but my fingers aren't...

Bill Bailey
http://www.thebaileystrap.com

MandolinDon said...

Thanks Bill,

I just printed out the Cello Suite and was thinking of working on it too. I probably won't get to it right away though. Let me know how it goes for you.
Don